With the latest Windows 10 update, the weather widget has moved to the right corner of your taskbar. While some Windows 10 users may find it useful to track the weather every time they use their laptop or computer, others don't want it taking up so much space on their taskbar. Fortunately, it will only take you a few seconds to disable this feature. Plus, if you want to turn it back on, it's just as easy.
In this article, we'll show you how to disable the weather widget so that it stops taking up space on your taskbar. We'll also show you how to modify the News & Interests panel to make it less cluttered.
How to Disable Weather on Taskbar in Windows 10
Since a recent Windows 10 update, various features have been added to your desktop. The one that came with the latest update is the weather widget, now located in the lower right corner of your screen. If you don't see the weather and news section in your taskbar, that means you're not using the latest Windows 10 update. Since this feature is enabled by default, you don't have to do anything. to activate it.
This feature is otherwise called the “News & Interests” tab, and once you click on it, you will be able to browse different types of information. Besides weather, news, stocks and sports announcements are also available.
While some Windows 10 users don't mind any of the features that come with the system update, others find the weather widget distracting and unnecessary. Fortunately, there is a quick and easy way to disable this feature.
To disable the weather widget, follow these steps:
- Right click on the weather widget in the lower right corner of your taskbar.
- Hover over the "News & Interests" tab in the context menu.
- Select "Disable" from the list of options.
The weather widget will immediately disappear from your taskbar. If you change your mind and want to turn it back on, here's what you need to do:
- Right-click anywhere on the taskbar.
- Select 'News & Interests'.
- Choose "Show icon and text" or "Show icon only".
If you'd rather have less clutter on your taskbar but still want to keep the weather widget there, click the "Show icon only" option. If you choose to do so, you will only see the current weather icon (a cloud, sun, rain, snow, etc.). On the other hand, if you want to know how many degrees there are throughout the day, you must choose the "Show icon and text" option.
Another thing you can do at this point is to make sure the "News & Interests" panel doesn't appear every time you hover your cursor over it. If you want to know how to do it, follow the steps below:
- Right click on the weather widget.
- Go to 'News & Interests'.
- Uncheck the "Open on hover" option.
That's all we can say about it. After that, whenever you want to see the weather or check the news, you will have to click on the weather widget.
If there is more than one user on your laptop or computer, as an administrator you have the option to disable the weather feature for all users. For this method, we will use the registry editor. Here's what you need to do:
- Simultaneously press the Windows and “R” keys.
- Type “Regedit” in the Run window and click “OK”. This will open the registry editor.
- Copy and paste this key into the upper empty field:
- Look for this registry: "ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode".
- Switch to “Stream”.
- Choose “New”, then go to “Dword”.
- Type "ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode" as the name.
- Next to "Value data", select "2" in the pop-up window.
- Click on the “OK” button.
That's it. Now no user will be able to access the weather widget.
How to edit the News & Interests panel
The "News and Interests" box can be modified in several ways. If you want to configure this panel, you have the option to completely remove the weather map from the panel. This is how it's done:
- Click on the weather widget in your taskbar.
- Access the weather map in the upper right corner of the panel.
- Click on the three dots in the corner.
- Select the “Hide weather map” option.
You can also change your location by clicking on the “Change Location” option from the context menu. Another way to turn off the weather map from the 'News & Interests' panel is to select the 'More Settings' option from the menu. This will take you to a new Microsoft Start window, where you can choose whether or not you want to have weather, finance, sports, and traffic maps in your feed.
If you want, you can also change the language of your feed. This is how it's done:
- Click on the weather widget at the bottom of your screen.
- Go to the weather map and click on the three dots in the top right screen.
- Select "More Settings".
- Go to “Language and content”.
- Select the language you want for your feed.
Your feed will automatically update as soon as you turn off the Microsoft Start window. Another feature you can turn off on this page is community feedback. To do this, simply toggle the blue switch in the "Power" section.
Remove the weather widget from your desktop
With each Windows 10 update, new widgets and features will be added to your desktop. The good news is that they can be turned on and off with just a few clicks. The same goes for the weather widget. For those who don't need this feature, they can turn it off in an instant.
Have you ever turned off your taskbar's weather feature before? Have you used any of the methods described in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.