These days, it seems like spammers are everywhere and chances are you've received spam messages before. As if robocalls and dodgy emails weren't enough, spammers are also invading our SMS inboxes. And they can be harmful in many ways because their main purpose is to trick you into giving out your personal data.
The best thing to do is to report such activity. And if you want to know how, you've come to the right place. In this article, we will explain how to report spam text messages between providers and devices. You will also learn how to protect your devices from receiving such messages in the future.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to the FTC
Spammers often send suspicious messages with the aim of tricking you into giving them your personal information, including your bank account number, passwords, or even your social security number. Whether it's offering free prizes, low-interest credit cards, or promising to pay back your loans, the tricks of scammers can be quite convincing.
Whenever you receive a message like this, the first thing to remember is never to click on any links attached to it. No real company will ever ask you for important information via SMS.
The best way to combat these annoying texts is to report them. There are several ways to report spam:
- Through the messaging app you use. Just find the “Report Junk Mail” or “Report Spam” option.
- Copy the spam text you received and send it to 7726 (SPAM), a spam reporting hotline operated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Report the message to the FTC via this linek. You can report a business, a scam or a spam call. It also allows you to see which scam campaigns are active in your state.
To report a message to the FTC, simply press the "Report Now" button on the website and follow the instructions. They will ask you to fill in the information related to the message and will share as many details with you as possible. There will also be a comment box to further describe the case. Just make sure you don't leave any sensitive information there.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to Verizon
Verizon, like other mobile carriers, tries to fight spammers and protect its users from spam text messages. You can use several methods to fight spam messages as a Verizon user:
Block spam text messages on MyVerizon
Verizon allows you to block text messages through your account. Here's how:
- Log in to MyVerizon.
- Click on “Schedule”.
- Select “Blocks”.
- Select the line you want to manage.
- Click on “Block calls and messages”.
- Enter the number you want to block.
- Choose “Save”.
MyVerizon lets you block up to five numbers for free for 90 days.
Forward and report the message to Verizon
Alternatively, you can report spam messages for free by forwarding the text to 7726 (SPAM). When copying the message, make sure you don't click on any links in it. Verizon will ask you for the spammer's number and investigate the case further.
Report Spam with Verizon Messages (Messages+)
You can report spam on Verizon Messages (Message+) by doing the following:
- Long-press the text (but be careful not to click any links.)
- Tap "Report Spam".
The message will also be deleted from your inbox.
Block spammers with Verizon Smart Family
Spammers can just as easily attack your children's phones. To protect your children from such attacks, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to Verizon Smart Family.
- Select a child at the top of the screen.
- Tap "Contacts".
- Select “Blocked Contacts”.
- Tap "Block a number".
- Insert the number you want to block.
- Press "Save".
As you can see, there are many ways to block spammers on Verizon. Feel free to apply the steps that most effectively address your situation.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to AT&T
Any time you receive a suspicious text message, you can report it to AT&T by doing the following:
- Send the SMS to 7726. The process is free and does not count towards your SMS plan.
- Call 611 (it immediately connects you to your wireless service provider) and ask for their fraud service or forward the text message to the AT&T Anti-Phishing Task Force. The email is [email protected].
- Report bot-texts here. Just make sure you never reply or click on links in suspicious texts.
- Fill out this form on the AT&T website to notify them of spam calls or messages. The provider will then run the phone number through their reported spam database and take action if necessary.
How to Report Spam Text Messages to T-Mobile
T-Mobile has a special app to help prevent spam messages from reaching your inbox. It's called Scam Shield. You can enable scam blocking and caller ID, see calls blocked by T-Mobile for you, or report spam and scams.
If you've received a message that you think is a scam, don't respond, even if it appears to be from someone you know. Also, do not click on any links in the text message. But be sure to change your T-Mobile ID password if you accidentally open any of the links.
You can report spam to T-Mobile's Spam Reporting Service by copying the message and sending it to 7726. Here's how:
- Press and hold the message text and tap "Copy."
- Start a new message and paste the text. Make sure you don't edit the text or add comments.
- Send the message to 7726 (written "SPAM" on most keyboards.)
T-Mobile will send you a confirmation text message and forward your message to its security center for further investigation. This Center is a system linked to a global database of potential spam numbers. Your information will be encrypted, so you don't have to worry about revealing your identity. However, information received from your message may be shared with government agencies that combat fraudulent actions.
How to report spam text messages from email addresses
It's easy to protect yourself from spam messages and individual phone numbers, but what happens when the spam text message comes from an email address? So far, there is no 100% effective way to fix the problem. There are, however, a few tools to help you combat the problem:
For android users
If you use Google's Mail app, you'll be pleased to find a dedicated spam filter that automatically removes spam texts. You can enable it by following the steps below:
- Launch the messaging app.
- Tap the three dots at the top right of the screen.
- Go to "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
- Select a SIM card.
- Tap "Spam protection".
- Enable the toggle button next to “Enable spam protection”.
If you have a Samsung phone with the latest version of Android, you can tap on the message in question and select "Block contact" from the three-dot menu at the top right.
For iPhone users
iOS has an excellent feature to filter spam messages. Here's how to activate it:
- Go to settings. »
- Select “Messages”.
- Activate the "Filter unknown senders" button.
Now there will be a specific tab in your app for unknown senders and all spam messages will go there.
Prevent email address spam with help from your carrier
The more the spam problem grows, the more mobile operators try to find new methods to combat it. Some carriers offer ways to combat e-mail address spam. Here is an overview of their services:
- T-Mobile's "Message Blocking" service blocks TMOmail.net emails as well as incoming paid messages.
- Verizon's "Block Calls and Messages" service blocks emails and domains in your account.
- AT&T's "Call Protect" blocks messages from specific 10-digit numbers. You can also report spam messages from email addresses by forwarding the text to [email protected] or [email protected].
How to Report Spam Text Messages on iPhone
iPhone users can use the Messages app to block unwanted messages, filter those from unknown numbers, or report spam and unwanted texts.
When you receive a message from a sender who is not in your contact list, it may be identified as spam or junk mail. You can always report these messages to Apple, and here's how:
- Open the message in question.
- Press the "Report Spam" button below the message. This option will be available if the sender is not in your contact list.
- Tap "Delete and report spam".
The message will now be permanently deleted from your inbox with no possibility of recovery. Additionally, the sender's information — including the number and message — will be sent to Apple.
Notes: When you report spam or junk mail, the sender can still send you messages. Try blocking the number to stop receiving messages from this number in the future.
You can report spam and junk messages via SMS and MMS by contacting your carrier. For more details, see the sections dedicated to each carrier above.
Win the battle against spam
Many marketers use aggressive marketing campaigns that often result in our inboxes being spammed. And in the worst cases, others send fraudulent links to trick people into revealing their personal information, which can lead to identity theft, credit card misuse, and many other problems.
Knowing how to protect yourself and report any instances of spam is essential. This article has provided you with all the information you need to report spam between providers. If you're ever confused, remember you can always forward a spam message to 7726, and your provider will take care of that.
What type of spam do you receive? How are you handling the situation? Share your experiences in the comments section below.