Thanks to smartphones, you can record video just about anywhere and anytime. Just grab your phone and point the camera, then hit the record button. Once done, you can share it with the rest of the world in seconds.
Sometimes it happens that you shot the video in portrait mode instead of landscape, and vice versa, and your Mac displays it sideways. This article will show you how to rotate video on your Mac.
Rotate recorded iPhone video using iMovie on Mac
The first menu option is the iMovie application, which works on macOS 10.15.6 or newer. iMovie does not require any additional software or computer (information technology) knowledge.
First, open iMovie and import the video file you want to rotate. Once imported, the video appears in the timeline section of iMovie. Click on the video and click "C" on the keyboard. The “Crop” menu opens and displays the rotate buttons, among other options. Click it to adjust the orientation of the video. Once you're satisfied, click the "Done" button. After that, click "File", choose "Export" option and choose the location for your new rotated video.
- open the apple “App Store,” search « iMovie » and select " To have " followed by "Install" to install it.
- Launch « iMovie » and import the video file you want to rotate. The video then appears in the timeline section of iMovie.
- Click on the video and click « C » on the keyboard.
- The “Crop” menu opens and displays, among other things, the rotation buttons. Click it to adjust the orientation of the video.
- Once you are satisfied, click the " I finished " button.
- Click on " To file, " choose it "Export" and choose the location for your new rotated video.
Rotate recorded iPhone video using QuickTime on Mac
QuickTime is the second option on our menu, and it comes with all versions of macOS. Rotating a video via QuickTime is quick and easy and does not require additional software or extensive knowledge.
- Open the video you want to rotate in Quicktime.
- Click it "Edit" button present in the main menu bar.
- Choose from four rotation options: " Turn left, " " Turn right, " "Flip Horizontal" ou “Go back to vertical. »
- When done, click " To file " then select the " To safeguard " option.
- Choose where you want to save your rotated video and click " To safeguard " again.
Rotate iPhone Video Using VLC on Mac
VLC Player is one of the most versatile players, extremely popular on Windows and Mac. The program is the third and final option covered in this article. As with the last two options, you don't need to be a tech wizard to rotate a video in VLC.
This VLC option is the first of two methods available.
- Launch “VLC player” on your Mac.
- Click it " To file " in the main menu and select the "File open..." option.
- Browse your computer and select the video you want to rotate by clicking " Open. »
- Once VLC opens the video file, click « VLC » from the main menu and select “Preferences”.
- Click on " Display all " and choose the "Turn" section to set the degree of rotation, then choose " To safeguard. »
The second way to use VLC to rotate iPhone videos is as follows.
- After opening the video in VLC, click " Window " from the main menu and select “Video Filters”.
- Select the "Geometry" tab and check the « Transformer » box. After that, choose the degree of rotation.
In conclusion, it is not difficult to rotate videos recorded using iMac, iMac Pro, Macbook, Macbook Pro or even Macbook Air. Videos with the wrong orientation are a nuisance, but these three quick and easy methods above mean you'll never have to worry about them again. I hope you found this article informative and useful.