Thanks to services like Google Meet, online video conferencing has never been more accessible. That said, this neat app does have its drawbacks, such as the number of visible participants in a meeting.
If you want to see everyone at once, we've got you covered. In this article, we will discuss some methods to see everyone at once in Google Meet.
Use Google Meet
At one point, Google Meet wouldn't allow us to see all participants at once. But now you can on the web browser. Here's what you need to do:
- Open Google Meet and sign in.
- Join your meeting.
- Click on the three dots icon in the lower right corner.
- Select the “Edit Layout” option.
- Choose the 'Mosaic' option. Then use the slider at the bottom to expand your view up to 49 members.
Now you can see all your participants at the same time on your screen.
Notes: This method only allows users to see up to 49 members.
Use Google Meet's Grid View
Google Meet Grid View was, at one time, a much better solution for Meet users. However, it seems to be quite uneven these days. Because it still works and many people are already familiar with the extension, we included it in this article.
Google Meet Grid View – Fix
Before using the grid view, let's first look at the steps to get it working again if it fails.
Many users have reported success using these methods:
- Clear your browser's cache.
- Uninstall and reinstall Grid View. You can use this one or this one, there are two available in March 2022.
- Close Chrome and reopen it.
Install Grid View
So if you're not using Chrome already, you'll need to get it on your computer. Downloading and installing Chrome is simple. Follow the link above and you'll have Chrome in no time.
When you're ready, you can add the Google Meet grid view to the Chrome browser:
- Launch Chrome and visit this website. This is the official download page for this cool Chrome extension.
- There you need to add the extension to Chrome. Simply press the appropriate button at the top right of the window.
- Confirm that you want to add the extension in the pop-up window.
- As soon as Google Meet Grid View installs in your browser, you will receive a notification. It should only take a few seconds.
Switch to Google Meet
Once you set up this Chrome extension, it will load automatically. There are no additional steps you need to take. If you see the Google Meet Grid View icon in the top right corner of your browser screen, you're ready to join a meeting and watch everyone. Here's how:
- Launch Google Meet in your Chrome browser.
- Tap the Join or Start Meeting button.
- Then select Join Now.
- Finally, you can see everyone in the video chat. Instead of just four people.
If you want to start a meeting and see everyone, you need to do the following:
- Open Google Meet in Chrome.
- Select Join or start a meeting (join and start a meeting, share the same button).
- Enter the name of your session.
- Next, tap on the Present option.
- Finally, you can add people to your meeting using email or phone invitations. When people join you, you'll see them all, regardless of the number of participants.
A useful trick to see everyone
If all participants need to see each other in your Google Meet, you can ask your colleagues or friends to use Google Meet's grid view. However, it will take some time and mobile device users would be out of luck as browser extensions are generally not designed for mobile browsers.
But what if we told you that there is a way around it? Follow these steps:
- Follow the instructions in the section above to start a Google Meet presentation.
- When you select Present Now, click "A Window" from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, choose Share and you'll share your meeting screen with everyone. This way, everyone can see everyone without any problems, thanks to your Google Meet Grid View add-on.
Use different Google Meet layouts
If you don't want to use external plugins or Google Chrome, you can change the layout of Google Meet to suit your needs. Note that this won't let you see everyone at once, but it might be better than using the default layout.
Here's how to edit a Google Meet layout:
- Start Google Meet on any computer browser.
- Join a meeting or start a new one.
- Next, select the More option in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Then choose Edit Layout.
- Here you can select a different layout. Look for layout descriptions below.
Google Meet layouts look like this:
- Auto-layout is the default, preset layout on Google Meet. The tiled layout shows four screens with participants, putting the presenter in a larger format during the presentation, and the other members next to the large window.
- The sidebar layout also shows the presenter on the big screen, while other participants appear in smaller windows to the right.
- The Spotlight layout displays the active presenter or speaker in a full-screen window. Additionally, you can tag a participant that you want to see in full-screen resolution.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I see everyone on Google Meet mobile?
If you're stuck using a smartphone or tablet for your meetings, you'll be dismayed to learn that the mobile app only allows users to see up to 4 people. There is no option to see all app members at once.
How can I join Google Meet?
One of the most common complaints of Google Meet is that there's no perfect way to take attendance. Luckily, there's a Chrome extension to help! You can get the Presence Extension from this link and install it on your Chrome browser. It automatically saves the attendance of those who join your meeting so you can revisit them later.
Since some users have sometimes noticed inaccuracies, we also recommend using a Google Form to register attendance with this extension.
Big Brother View
With so many virtual meetings and remote learning, seeing everyone at once is now more important than ever. However, Google Meet is still not the perfect solution for everyone's needs.
Is this your main video conferencing platform? Do you use it for business or pleasure? Feel free to add to the discussion in the comments section below.