There is currently no better place to sell NFT than on OpenSea. From cryptokitties to artwork to domain names, there is no limit to the digital assets you can buy and sell on this platform. You may have spent some time getting to grips with how everything works, then bought or created your first NFT. The next question that naturally arises is "how can I sell it?" »
If you're wondering that yourself, we've got you covered. In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to sell NFTs on OpenSea. Plus, we'll dive deeper and explain how to sell without paying gas, as well as how to sell domain names, cryptokitties, and more.
OpenSea – How to sell?
If you are here to sell on OpenSea, we can assume that you already have a registered account. Otherwise, be aware that only registered users with configured wallets can sell NFTs. If you want to return an NFT you bought or sell one you created, doing so on OpenSea is relatively simple:
- Go to OpenSea.io and login to your account.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right.
- Go to “Profile”.
- Choose the NFT you want to sell in your wallet.
- Select "Sell" to be redirected to the ad page.
- Choose the type and price of the sale. You can set a fixed price or an auction. With the auction, enter the starting price, expiry time and price threshold. As for the duration, a sale can last one day, three days or a week.
- Once you have everything sorted, click on “Complete the list”.
- For the first listing, you must initialize your wallet. This means that you have to perform two unique transactions. One is to initialize your account for the sale, and the other is to grant OpenSea access to items when a sale occurs.
- After paying the fee, confirm the details and publish the item to the marketplace.
Use the 'Activity' tab on the left side to view the NFTs you are listing for sale.
OpenSea – Cost of sale
As mentioned earlier, OpenSea requires all new sellers to pay two fees before making the first sale. Note that the price of these two fees is not fixed, and if you know what you are doing, you can lower them as much as possible. But how?
First, fees are paid in Ether. This means that the price depends on the value of the crypto against a dollar or whatever your local currency is.
Just like the coinage, both fees are transactions on the Ethereum blockchain. For this reason, they take processing power to complete. To compensate for the energy required to process these transactions, you must pay a gas fee.
At the time of writing, the first transaction can cost between $70 and $300. The second trade is usually $10 to $30.
This price range is due to gas charges. There are days when the fees are higher, and then there are days when the fees are lower.
You can follow the prices at www.gasnow.org. Ideally, you want to chase days when the numbers are less than 100. This is when you want to initialize the count to save the most money.
Besides the one-time upfront fee, OpenSea takes 2,5% of your sales. You only pay this tax once the item is sold.
How to sell on OpenSea without paying gas
If you are familiar with the Etherium blockchain, gas fees on OpenSea are similar to the transaction fees you are already familiar with. When you transfer the crypto to another wallet or buy an NFT on OpenSea, you should have enough ETH in your wallet to cover the initial transaction and gas fees.
However, OpenSea recently introduced a new marketplace – Polygon, where you can sell NFTs without paying gas fees.
To create a Polygon collection, follow the steps below:
- Click on your profile picture and select "My collections".
- Click on “Create a collection”.
- Add logo, banner, description and set royalties.
- You will be able to choose a blockchain to create NFTs. Select "Polygon" from the drop-down menu.
Now that you've created a Polygon collection, here's how you can sell your NFTs.
Selling NFTs on Polygon
- Navigate to the NFT you wish to sell and select "Sell" in the top right corner.
- Set the selling price, currency, and potential fees.
- Select "The complete announcement".
- Click on “Sign” and sign the transaction.
That's it! You will see a message saying "Your NFT is listed" and you can copy its link wherever you want to increase visibility.
How to sell a domain on OpenSea?
One of the many categories of things you can sell on OpenSea are domain names. If you want to sell your first domain name, follow the steps below:
- Go to OpenSea and hover over your profile picture.
- Go to my profile. »
- Click on the domain you want to sell.
- Tap the "Sell" button in the upper right corner.
- Choose put options. You can choose between "Fixed price" and "Highest bid".
- Fill in the details and select "Complete your ad".
- If you use Metamask, click on "Login" under its logo.
- If you use a mobile wallet, select "WalletConnect" or "WalletLink" (depending on your wallet).
- Scan the QR code with your phone's camera.
Ended! Your domain is now ready to be sold.
How to Sell Cryptokitties on OpenSea
If you have an adorable cryptokitty to sell, you can do so on the OpenSea marketplace. Before putting the NFT up for sale, use the market to determine how much a kitten similar to yours costs. This will help you establish a fair price.
Once that's done, it's time to sell. And here's how:
- Go to OpenSea.io/account and click on the "My Items" tab.
- Click on the kitten you wish to sell.
- Click on the “Sell” button. Fill in the starting and ending price, as well as the number of days you want your cryptokitty to be listed.
- Once you have set all the parameters, select "Sell item".
- Click on “Approve contract”, then on “Create an auction”.
The last two steps will generate a Metamask transaction, each with an associated cost. Metamask normally determines network costs, but you are also free to choose your own. You can only start the cryptokitty auction once you have submitted these two transactions and they are completed on the Ethereum network.
You can visit your auction by going to your account and clicking on "My Auctions".
How to sell Mintable on OpenSea
As the second most popular NFT marketplace, Mintable has a good chunk of items you can buy or sell. But what if you want to sell a Mintable item on OpenSea? There is a simple trick to help you do this.
All you have to do is transfer the NFT from Mintable to your wallet. OpenSea will retrieve the transfer and display it in its database. Note that this includes paying a network fee of around $25.
Also, you don't need to delete the transferred item from Mintable. It can be listed on both markets simultaneously, so you are more likely to sell.
Do you need a wallet to use OpenSea?
Yes, you must have a wallet to buy and sell on OpenSea. As you know, OpenSea is a blockchain interaction tool. The company does not own or store your NTVs. They simply allow peer-to-peer exchanges. Your use of the platform means you will be interacting with other blockchain users, so you need a wallet to turn browser actions into blockchain transactions.
Ready to sell your NFTs?
OpenSea is a great place to sell NFTs. Whether you want to sell cryptokitties, cryptostickers or other digital assets, you can do it here. But note that it can cost you a lot more if you are not careful. Be sure to initialize your account wisely by following gas prices to save on your trades. Other than that, OpenSea's thriving community means your NFT will get plenty of exposure compared to other marketplaces.
What assets do you like to buy and sell on OpenSea? Have you ever tried similar platforms? Share your experiences in the comments below.