Many instant messaging apps like Facebook, Telegram, Discord, and Slack give you the option to message each other. This feature is extremely useful in situations where you need to copy and paste a link, download a file, or just write something you'll need later. However, does Skype offer this feature?
In this article, we are going to walk through the process of sending a message on Skype on different devices. Plus, you'll learn how to pin chat with yourself for faster access.
How to Message Each Other in Skype on PC
The ability to send you messages comes in handy in many situations. For example, if you work on two computers, you can transfer a file, link or text to each other and open it on the other device. This also applies to situations where you want to send something to yourself from a mobile device to your computer, and vice versa.
Since Skype is a widely used video chat and instant messaging application in both business and online education, this feature would be of great use. Unfortunately, while many messaging apps give you the ability to send messages to each other, Skype does not offer this feature. Even if you search for your username in the search bar, nothing will show up.
Although you can't message each other directly, there is a workaround you can use. If you were to create a group chat on Skype and only add yourself, then you would be able to use that chat to message each other. This workaround is simple and will only take a minute or two of your time. Plus, you can do it on the desktop app and on your mobile device.
To create a Skype group chat on your laptop or computer, follow the steps below:
- Open Skype on your desktop.
- Click the "New Chat" button on the left sidebar.
- Choose the “New Group Chat” option from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a name for the group chat. For example, "My Notes" or "Me". You can also simply enter your first and last name to avoid confusion.
- Choose a profile photo for your group chat. If you wish, you can skip this step.
- Select a color for the group chat.
- Click the arrow button in the lower right corner of the window.
- Go to the "Done" button.
It is more or less that. Skype gives you a list of suggested group members for your new group chat. You can even add up to 600 people. However, since you won't be adding anyone, just click the "Done" button. You can start messaging each other immediately.
To make personal chat even more accessible, you have the option to pin it so that it appears at the top of your chat list every time you open Skype. Here's how to do it on the Skype desktop app:
- Open skype.
- Go to the "Contacts" tab in the left sidebar.
- Find the group chat you just created and right click on it.
- Select “Add to favourites”.
Now the chat you created for yourself will appear first in the "Chats" and "Contacts" tabs. If you wish, you can also remove the chat from your favorites list. Just follow the same steps and select "Remove from favorites".
How to Message Each Other in Skype on an Android or iPhone
You can also create a group chat in Skype and only add yourself on the Skype mobile app. If you have an iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Skype app on your iPhone.
- Tap the "New" icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Select the “New group chat” option.
- Enter the group name.
- Choose a profile picture for your group chat. You can skip this step if you wish.
- Tap the arrow icon in the lower right corner.
- Go directly to the "Done" button at the bottom of the screen.
Your new group chat will open immediately. Under the chat name, it will say “1 participant”. Skype will instantly offer you to invite members or add existing contacts. You can dismiss this notification and start messaging each other immediately.
If you're an Android user, here's how to create a group chat on the Skype mobile app:
- Open the Skype app on your Android device.
- Tap the "+" icon in the bottom right corner of the app.
- Choose the “New group” option at the top right.
- Enter the name of your new group chat.
- Select a photo for the profile picture.
- Go to the “Next” icon.
- On the suggested contacts screen, tap the "Done" button.
That's all we can say about it. Once you've created a group chat on Skype with just yourself, you can send whatever you want to each other. If you want to pin the group chat to the top of the chat list, here's how to do it on the mobile app:
- Launch the Skype mobile app.
- Find the group chat you want to pin.
- Press and hold the cat.
- Select “Add to favourites”.
Now that your group chat is at the top of your chat list, you'll be able to find it much faster. When you need to send something to yourself or download a file, it will take you much less time to find the chat. Another advantage of this option is that you can create as many group chats as you want. One can be for business, another for reminders, another for personal messages, etc.
Find a way to message yourself in Skype
Even though there is no direct way to message yourself on Skype, you can use the workaround in this guide. By creating a group chat and adding only yourself, you will be able to send each other links, files, and other types of messages. Whichever device you choose, you'll be able to message each other in moments.
Have you ever created a group chat so you can message each other on Skype? What did you use the cat for? Let us know in the comments section below.