LinkedIn is a social networking site designed to connect professionals around the world. This is why making your profile presentable and engaging is so important. Luckily, the platform offers plenty of customization and customization options.
Your LinkedIn profile is where you can showcase your abilities, past work experience, interests, and more. Other people will use this information to get to know you better. One of the first things other users will notice is your background photo. You can use it to make a statement, showcase something you're passionate about, or use one of LinkedIn's photos.
This article will provide you with an easy-to-follow guide so that you can set your LinkedIn background photo without any hassle.
Change or set your LinkedIn background photo
You can change your LinkedIn background photo on the website or mobile app. Before showing you how to upload the photo, let's first look at some basic information that will help you.
Things to know
If you're new to LinkedIn or want to recreate your profile, a winning background photo can really boost your views and engagements. LinkedIn offers users the option of uploading their own photos or using a photo available for free on the platform.
If you choose to upload your own photo, you must first ensure that it is suitable for the audience you are trying to reach. Because we use LinkedIn to network with other professionals, having an appropriate photo is essential to the success of your profiles. For example, if you are looking for a new employer, it may be best to avoid controversial or overly risky topics.
Another thing to keep in mind is the dimensions of the LinkedIn background photo. Unlike the profile photo (which is usually a square photo), the background photo is more elongated, so not all photos will work. The LinkedIn background photo is 1584 X 386 pixels. As you scroll through your camera roll, look for a photo that works best in landscape orientation.
LinkedIn is compatible with JPG, PNG and GIF formats. If your photo is not in one of these formats, you can easily convert it using an online tool. One such tool is Junkie Tools. You can upload any photo you want and download the appropriate version for LinkedIn.
Finally, it's a good idea to double-check your photo before finalizing its upload. As soon as you complete the final steps (as described below), your photo is uploaded. Of course, there's no limit to the number of times you can upload a photo to LinkedIn, so you can easily upload it again if needed.
Now that we've covered all the super important information, let's start by uploading your perfect LinkedIn background photo.
How to Upload a LinkedIn Background Photo – Web Browser
Uploading and changing your background photo is pretty easy on a computer. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Open your favorite web browser and log in to the LinkedIn website.
- In the upper right corner, click Moi.
- In the drop-down menu, click View Profile.
- Locate your background photo and tap the pencil icon.
- Click on Change photo in the lower right corner of the pop-up window.
- Click on send picture if you want to choose your own background image. Or, you can select one of the photos by scrolling down, clicking the bubble next to the image you like, and then clicking save.
- If you chose to upload your own photo, select the one you like from your computer and click Open. Then resize your image and click Apply.
Now, when someone visits your LinkedIn profile, they'll see your background image along with other key details about you.
How to Add a Background Photo on LinkedIn – Mobile App
Some users prefer to use LinkedIn on their mobile devices. Luckily, there is a mobile app available for iOS and Android users. Here's how to change your background photo on the LinkedIn mobile app:
- Open the mobile app and log in if you haven't already. Next, tap your profile icon in the top left corner.
- Press Parameters.
- Tap the pencil icon in the top right corner of your current background photo.
- Press Add a picture.
- To choose send picture or select one of the stock options offered by LinkedIn. Then press save.
- If you choose to upload a photo, your photo gallery will open and you can select the image you want to use.
As mentioned above, make sure to select a background photo that will look great in landscape orientation.
Troubleshooting and Editing
Now that you've uploaded your photo, it's time to go through some editing and troubleshooting options.
What if my photo is not uploading?
It's a very common situation that people's photos aren't uploaded to their LinkedIn profile. There are several reasons for this.
- Your image size exceeds the limit – LinkedIn only allows you to upload files that do not exceed the 8MB size limit. PNG tends to be the "heaviest" format, so if your background image- PNG plan exceeds 8 MB, use a tool like TinyPNG to drastically reduce its size without losing any visual information.
- Your photo dimensions exceed the limit – For profile photos, the pixel size of the photos you can choose ranges from 400 (w) x 400 (h) to 7680 (w) x 4320 (h) pixels .As already mentioned, the pixel dimensions of the background photo should be approximately 1584 (w) x 396 (h) pixels. Luckily, most photo editing tools will allow you to resize your images to fit these dimensions.
- You selected an unsupported file type – LinkedIn only accepts PNG, GIF, and JPG files. As such, the reason you can't upload a photo may be because you selected a type that LinkedIn doesn't support.
- Your browser's cache memory is causing trouble – If none of the previous three options seem to be the problem, the problem could lie with your browser. Try changing browsers and downloading the image using another browser. If that works, try clearing your default browser cache, as that could be the reason the download is not possible.
How do I remove my background photo on LinkedIn?
You can remove your background photo in just a few steps. The steps are practically the same as when you want to add a photo:
- Click the Me icon on your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click on the View Profile option.
- Select the pencil icon in the upper right corner of your background photo.
- Click on Delete photo.
Confirm that you want to remove your background photo. The image will disappear and you will see a blank photo space.
How to change your background photo
LinkedIn doesn't give us many editing tools like Instagram. But, you can make some changes to the image before saving it.
First, you'll want to drag your photo around so that the most interesting part appears in the 3 X 3 box. You can do this on your phone with your finger, or on your computer with your mouse or trackpad.
Then you can use the Zoom et Straighten to properly fit your photo in the box. Simply grab the sliders and drag them left or right until you've perfected the position of your photo.
Finally, you can use the Crop, filter and adjust options to perfect your photo. Cropping allows you to cut out unwanted parts of your image, while filters can alter the overall appearance. If you choose the Adjust option, you can change the brightness and contrast among others.
If you want to do more editing than LinkedIn allows, it's a good idea to use third-party software. An app like Snapseed is perfect for optimizing your photo. But keep in mind that you will need to upload the image in the correct size and format to use it on LinkedIn.
Make your LinkedIn profile amazing
What do you see first when you visit someone's LinkedIn profile? Those are the profile and background pics, right?
While your personal and professional information is the focus of your LinkedIn profile, the photos that others will be able to see are also very important.
As such, pay attention to the quality of the photos you upload and make sure you create an amazing profile.