Many Gmail users prefer to be logged into multiple accounts simultaneously because it allows them to manage personal and work conversations without having to log in and out of each account each time they want to switch. Problems often arise when trying to log out of an account from your desktop browser. There's a way to do this on your desktop, you'll just need the help of the Gmail app on your iPhone or Android device.
How to Sign Out of One Google Account on a PC
To sign out of a single Gmail account, you must use the Gmail app for Android or an iPhone. It usually comes pre-installed on Android devices, but it can be downloaded from the AppStore for iPhone. Here's how to sign out of an account on your Mac or Windows PC using the mobile app:
- Open the Gmail app on your mobile device and sign in to the Gmail account you want to sign out of in your desktop browser.
- Tap your profile picture or the initial of your name in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Tap "Google Account".
- Go to the “Security” tab.
- Tap "Your Devices", then "Manage Devices".
- You will see a list of all devices currently connected to your Gmail account. Select the device you want to disconnect from and tap the three-dot icon next to the device name.
- Tap "Sign out".
Alternatively, you can use the mobile app instead of the desktop version, as switching between accounts in the app is much faster. Additionally, you can receive new email notifications for each account even if you don't leave the app open. Follow the steps below to enable notifications for each account:
- Open the Gmail app and tap the tree icon in the upper left corner to access the menu.
- Select “Settings”.
- Select one of your accounts and scroll down to the "Notifications" section.
- Press "All".
Note: You must enable notifications for each of your accounts individually.
When you receive a push notification and tap on it, Gmail will automatically switch to the necessary account. You don't need to enter your password each time you open another Gmail account.
How do I remove a Gmail account I don't use from the app?
If you no longer use a particular Gmail account and want to remove it from your Gmail app, follow these steps:
1. Open the Gmail app.
2. Tap your profile icon in the upper right corner.
3. Select "Manage accounts on this device".
4. Select the Gmail account you want to remove from the app.
5. Tap "Delete Account".
Gmail in motion
Hope our guide helped you find a way to manage multiple Gmail accounts more efficiently. Being logged out of all accounts when you only want to log out of one or only get notifications for an open account in the browser can be annoying. That's why many users switch entirely from the Gmail desktop to the mobile app. Of course, it would be better if Google fixes the issue in the desktop version as well, so hopefully that will happen in future updates.
What are your tips for organizing the workflow with multiple Gmail accounts? Share your experiences in the comments section below.