Roku turns your regular TV into a smart TV. It comes with a remote designed to work right out of the box. But, in some cases, this does not happen and you need to take steps to connect it properly. Fortunately, the process does not take much time and only requires a few steps.
If you want to learn how to sync your Roku remote with your TV, you've come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss what you need to do to pair the remote with your Roku player. In addition, we will answer you what to do in case your remote control does not work.
How to Sync a Roku Remote with TV Volume
By syncing your Roku remote with the TV, you will be able to control the TV without using the one that came with it. This means you can use your Roku remote to turn your TV on or off, change the volume, and more.
How to Sync Roku Remote to TV During Setup
If this is your first time using Roku, you can sync your remote to the TV during initial setup. Before accessing it, you will need to follow various on-screen instructions. To set it correctly, make sure you enter the correct display type and keep the device connected to the internet. Also, adjust the TV volume.
Follow these steps to sync your Roku remote with the TV during initial setup:
- Tap "Check remote settings".
- Roku will now play music and ask if you can hear it. Press "Yes". If not, turn up the volume and try again.
- Roku will stop the music and ask if you detected it. If you still hear the music, it means that Roku did not get the information from your TV correctly. Enter the TV brand and try again until you hear the music stop.
- Once you have configured it, press "OK".
How to Sync Roku Remote to TV After Setup
Before moving on to the next steps, make sure your Roku remote is successfully paired with the Roku device. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Make sure your remote's batteries are working and stay close to the Roku player throughout the syncing process.
- Unplug the Roku player.
- After a few minutes, plug the Roku player back in.
- If you're in the setup phase, you'll probably see the instructions for pairing the remote. If you've set up Roku before, you won't see this message.
- Remove the battery compartment cover.
- Press and hold the pairing button inside the battery compartment for a few seconds.
The remote is now paired with your Roku player and you can sync it to your TV:
If your remote doesn't have a pairing button, follow these steps to pair it:
- Take the remote and press the Home button.
- Go to settings. »
- Tap on “Remotes and Devices”.
- Go to "Set up the remote control for TV control".
- Press Start. »
It may take a few minutes until the process is complete.
How do I use my phone to control Roku?
You don't need to use the Roku remote to control your TV. Instead, you can use the Roku mobile app. The app is free and available for iPhone and Android.
Read the instructions below if you want to learn how to set up your Roku app and use it instead of the remote.
Before moving on to the steps, make sure your Roku device and your phone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Now you need to allow your Roku to receive commands over the internet. Follow the instructions below to set it up:
1. Grab your remote and press “Home”.
2. Go to "Settings".
3. Press "System".
4. Select "Advanced System Settings".
5. Tap "Control by mobile apps".
6. Press "Network Access".
7. Select "Default". This option allows you to control the Roku device using the Roku mobile app or another third-party app.
8. Open the Roku app on your phone and search for devices on your network.
9. Select your Roku device and connect.
Control your TV with a Roku remote
You can use your Roku remote to change the volume and turn your TV on and off by adjusting the right settings. The process differs depending on whether you are setting up Roku for the first time or have already installed it. Roku also lets you download their app and use your phone as a remote.
We hope this article helped you learn how to sync a Roku remote to a TV. Also, we hope you have learned more about what to do if your remote is malfunctioning.
Have you ever had issues with your Roku remote? Are you using the Roku mobile app to control the device? Tell us in the comments section below.