The Uber app makes it easy to tip your driver during and after the ride. While you can, of course, tip the driver directly by giving them money, you can also do this through the app. But did you know that you can change the tip amount to change your original tip? And the good news is that your entire tip will go directly to the driver, because Uber doesn't take a percentage of the tip.
In this guide, we'll show you how to tip your Uber driver using the Uber app. We'll also answer frequently asked questions about Uber's tipping policy.
How to Add a Tip in Uber on iPhone
The easiest way to tip an Uber driver is to use the mobile app. In-app tips are immediately transferred to the Uber driver's account.
Every time you use Uber's services, you'll be asked to rate your driver. You can tip an Uber driver during and after each ride after you rate it. Keep in mind that tipping is entirely optional and not included in the rate.
While you can simply give money to your Uber driver at the end of the trip, it may be more convenient to do so through the Uber app. Here's how to do it on an iPhone:
- Launch the app on your iPhone.
- Use the white screen to view trip details.
- Switch to the “fare or tip” option.
- Rate your driver. You can give them between one and five stars.
Notes: If you give your Uber driver five stars, the app will take you directly to the tipping tab. If you rate your driver with less than five stars, the app will ask you if you want to tip the driver.
- The app will let you choose between $1, $3, and $5 for tipping.
- If you want to tip more, tap the "Enter a custom amount" option at the bottom of your screen.
- If you chose a custom amount, select the "Set Tip" button.
- Select the "Done" option.
This method applies to tips made during the trip. If you want to tip an Uber driver after a ride, you have 30 days to do so. You can also use the Uber app to do later tips. In addition to the app, it is possible to tip drivers on riders.uber.com and with the trip receipt you received by email.
How to Tip in Uber on an Android
If you're using Android, here's how to use the Uber app to tip your driver:
- Open the Uber app on your Android.
- Proceed to trip details.
- Under the heading "How is your trip going?" , go to “Fare or tip”.
- Give your Uber driver one to five stars.
- Continue to the tip tab.
- Choose a preset tip amount or enter a custom amount for your tip.
- Press the "Done" button.
If you are traveling with friends and using the Split Fare feature, only the fare will be split. The amount of tip is decided by the person who ordered the ride. The same person is also responsible for the tip, as it is not shared among the other riders.
You will not be able to tip your Uber driver unless you have noted it first. However, if you choose to tip the driver via the trip receipt, you do not need to write this down first.
If you're wondering how much you should tip, it's common for your tip to be between 10% and 15% of the tour price. For exceptionally good trips, you can tip 15-20%. Of course, this is entirely up to you.
How to tip for Uber Eats service
You can also tip an Uber Eats delivery person. You can do this by tipping in three ways: before you place an order after it's delivered and with your order history.
To tip your Uber Eats delivery person before placing an order, follow the steps below:
- Open the Uber Eats app on your smartphone.
- Choose the restaurant you want to order food from.
- Select "Checkout" when finished.
- Press the "Place Order" button.
- Proceed to the “Rate” section.
- Choose “Add tip”.
- Choose a preset tip amount or enter a custom tip amount.
- Select "Send and continue".
If you wish to change the tip amount, you have one hour after delivery to do so.
If you want to tip Uber Eats service after delivery, you can do so after you've rated the service. Plus, you have seven days after the delivery date to tip your Uber Eats delivery person.
You can also tip Uber Eats after delivery through your order history. This is how it's done:
- Open the Uber Eats app on your phone.
- Select the "Orders" tab at the bottom of your screen.
- Find the order you want to tip.
- Go to the “Add tip” option.
- Enter the tip amount.
- Save the changes.
Can I edit a tip in Uber later?
It is possible to modify a board that you have made in the past. However, you can only add to the amount you originally donated. You cannot reduce it. There is a time window for this feature, which varies from 30 to 90 days. The lead time mainly depends on your region.
To edit a tip you gave to an Uber driver, follow the steps below:
1. Open the Uber app on your phone.
2. Switch to the menu icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
3. Choose "Your trips" from the menu.
4. Find the trip for which you want to change the tip.
5. Select the "Add to your tip" option.
6. Type the additional tip.
7. Tap the "Set Tip" button at the bottom of the screen.
As mentioned, you can only increase the tip. If you can't find the trip you want to tip extra for, the tip feature must have expired.
You can also edit a tip while on an Uber ride. If you do so before the end of the trip, you can enter a lower tip amount. This is how it's done:
1. Launch the app on your phone.
2. Access the trip details page.
3. Switch to the “Assessment” tab.
4. Select "Edit".
5. Choose a preset tip amount or enter a custom tip.
6. Save changes.
Not only can you change the tip amount during an Uber ride, but also the bill.
Do Uber drivers know if you tip?
When you tip your Uber driver, they'll be able to view the tip on their trip details page. Tips are associated with the ride, so your name and photo won't be revealed on the Uber driver app. This is done to protect the privacy of each customer. However, each time an Uber driver receives a tip, they receive a notification indicating the amount of the tip.
Does Uber automatically tip?
No. Instead, Uber will give you the option to tip every time you use its services. If you use the Uber app to tip, you must first rate the driver.
If you give your Uber driver five stars, you'll automatically be prompted to tip them. However, you will still need to specify the tip amount. On the other hand, if you give your Uber driver less than five stars, the app will give you the option to continue with the tip.
Why can't I tip my Uber driver?
If you want to tip your Uber driver, but you can't find the tip feature on the Uber app, it might be disabled. Even though this feature is automatically enabled, it's possible that the Uber driver you want to tip has disabled this feature. In other words, if you want to tip them, you'll have to do so using other methods. The tip feature in the app may not be available in your region.
Thank your Uber driver for the enjoyable driving experience
Whether you choose to tip your Uber driver during or after the trip, it's a great way to thank them for the good service. The fastest and easiest way to tip an Uber driver is to use the Uber app. You can also do this using Uber's website or your email receipts. If none of these options work for you, you can always tip them cash.
Have you ever tipped your Uber driver? Have you used any of the methods described in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.