The camera is one of the essential functions of the smartphone for many users. It allows us to take pictures of special moments without carrying heavy equipment. But sometimes you might want to turn off your camera. Since the Android Camera app is built into the device, you cannot just uninstall it.
If you want to learn how to turn off the camera on your Android device, you've come to the right place. In this article, we will provide you with a detailed step-by-step guide on how to turn off your camera. Additionally, we'll walk you through how to remove the Camera app from your lock screen and turn off the shutter sound.
Disable Android Camera
You may want to disable the Camera app on your Android device in some cases. For example, you may do so for privacy or security reasons. Turning off your camera could prevent intruders from hacking into it.
Follow the instructions below to disable the Camera app on your Android:
- Go to settings.
- Scroll down and tap "Apps".
- Tap "Camera".
- Tap "Disable". If this option is not available, tap "Permissions" and toggle the button next to "Camera".
Keep in mind that once you disable the Camera app, some features may not work on your device.
Disable Android 12 Camera
At the time of writing this article, the Android 12 Beta version was only available for certain devices. It offers many new and exciting features for all users, and one of them is the ability to disable camera access using the Quick Settings menu. This menu appears when you swipe down from the top of your screen.
Follow these steps to turn off the camera on Android 12:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen.
- Swipe down again to see all the options.
- Look for “Camera access” among the options and tap on it. The icon should turn dark gray, which means it's blocked. If you want to turn it back on, tap it again.
Disable Camera for Individual Apps on Android
If you completely disable the Camera app, you may lose some of your device's essential functions. To avoid this, you can disable the camera option only for specific apps. Here's how:
- Open your menu and go to Settings.
- Tap "Apps".
- Find the app to disable the camera and tap on it.
- Scroll down and tap "Permissions".
- Toggle the button next to "Camera."
- Repeat this process for each app that you don't want to access your camera.
Disable Android Camera Lock Screen
The Camera app is found on most Android lock screens, usually in the lower right corner. Many find this option useful because you can quickly take photos without unlocking your screen and launching the Camera app.
However, some users do not like this option. Namely, since you can access the Camera app when your screen is locked, you might accidentally launch it and take photos while your phone is in your pocket. This can drain your battery and take up space. Also, if the camera shutter sound is on and your sound is on, everyone can hear it, which makes it especially annoying if you're in a quiet place.
Luckily, you can remove the Camera app from your lock screen at any time by following the steps below:
- Launch your menu and go to settings.
- Tap "Lock screen".
- Scroll down and tap "App shortcuts".
- Select the Camera shortcut.
- Toggle the toggle button to disable the shortcut or select another app you want to use instead.
Depending on the version of Android you are using, the steps may be slightly different:
- Open your menu and go to settings.
- Tap "Security & Privacy".
- Select "Screen lock".
- Choose "Lock screen shortcuts".
- Tap the Camera icon and disable the shortcut or choose another app.
Turn off camera sound android
Every Android camera has a shutter sound. The sound is similar to professional cameras and lets you know you've taken a picture even if you're not looking at the screen. But, this sound can sometimes be annoying. Or you may end up in a museum, theater, or other quiet place where you don't want the camera shutter sound.
Luckily, all Android phones allow you to mute the camera sound. However, the steps depend on your model and Android version. We'll cover the steps for the most popular Android devices.
Disable Camera Sound on Stock Android
Stock Android, or Pure Android, is the original version of the operating system released by Google. This means that the manufacturer has not modified or customized any options. Devices like Google Pixel have this version, and here's how to mute the camera sound on them:
- Launch the Camera app.
- Tap the down-pointing arrow at the top of your screen.
- Select the gear icon from the menu that appears on your screen.
- Toggle the button next to "Camera sounds."
Also, you can always use the volume key to mute the sound.
Disable Camera Sound on Samsung
Newer Samsung devices allow you to mute the camera sound in the app. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Open the Camera app.
- Tap the gear icon to access settings.
- Go to “Sound shutter” and turn it off.
Keep in mind that older Samsung devices may not have this option. Use the volume key to mute the camera shutter sound if you don't see it. Mute the volume completely or mute only the system sound. This way, the sound for media, notifications and ringtone will always be on.
Turn off camera sound on Xiaomi
Here is how to disable camera shutter sound on Xiaomi:
- Open the Camera app.
- Tap the three lines in the upper right corner.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Toggle the button next to "Shutter sound".
Turn off camera sound on Huawei
If you have a Huawei device, here's how to turn off the camera shutter sound:
- Launch the Camera app.
- Swipe left to access settings.
- Toggle the button next to "Mute."
Turn off camera sound on LG
LG devices do not have the option to mute the camera shutter sound in the app. The only way to do this is to use the volume keys and put your device on silent, vibrate or do not disturb.
Disable Front Camera on Android
Android phones do not provide the option to disable the front camera without disabling the main one. If you want to turn off your front camera, here's what you need to do:
- Launch your menu and go to Settings.
- Scroll down and select "Apps".
- Tap "Camera".
- Tap "Disable". If it's grayed out, select "Permissions," then toggle the toggle next to "Camera."
Remember that this will prevent you from using both the front camera and the rear camera.
Easily turn off Android camera
Most Android devices do not have a privacy camera shutter, so some users may feel the need to turn off the camera to maintain their security. Since the camera is one of the most used features, you can turn it off temporarily and turn it back on once you're ready. Moreover, you can customize the permissions of each app and disable access to your camera to improve your security.
Do you think it is sometimes necessary to disable the camera on your Android? What would be the reason? Tell us in the comments section below.