The Google Assistant, while immensely useful when you need to find plane tickets or a restaurant, can sometimes be a real nuisance. It can appear when you least expect it and disrupt your work or entertainment.
Therefore, it is no wonder that some users want to disable it. This article will explore several ways to turn it off on an Android phone or tablet. We'll also cover Chromebooks, Pixelbooks, and Android TVs.
Turn it off completely
If you're sure you don't want the Google Assistant bothering you anymore, you can always choose to turn it off completely. Remember that you can activate it again if you wish. Here's how to completely disable the Google Assistant on an Android device:
- Launch the Google app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the Menu icon (three small dots); it is usually located in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Then you have to go on Settings.
- Now navigate to the Google Assistant part of the menu.
- Scroll down and look for the option titled General.
- Tap the slider next to Google Assistant to switch it disabled
- Finally, confirm by pressing Switch off.
If you change your mind for some reason and want to turn Google Assistant back on, follow these same steps and turn on the switch.
There is another way to completely disable the Google Assistant. This time you will have to open it one last time. Here's how it's done:
- Tap and hold Home button.
- When the Google Assistant appears, you need to tap on the box-shaped icon in the lower left corner.
- Next, tap the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- From the menu that appears, select General.
- Finally, tap the slider next to Google Assistant to deactivate the service.
The Google Assistant will no longer appear unprompted. Repeat these steps if you change your mind and decide to enable it again.
Disable activation button
The Google Assistant has that annoying habit of popping up when you least expect it. Likewise, many people activate it when their fingers accidentally touch the Home button on their smartphones and tablets.
If you don't want to see or hear the Google Assistant appear when you press the Home button, Android allows you to disable this feature. This is a good option for those who want to get rid of the assistant but are hesitant to turn it off completely. Here's how:
- Launch it Settings app from the home screen of your Android device.
- Navigate to the Applications part of the menu. On some models, it may be named applications.
- Then go to the Default applications/Applications section.
- Then open Assistance and voice input.
- Tap on the Helper app tongue.
- Your Android device will then show you the list of available support apps. Most often it will show Google et Nothing as options. You should press Nothing.
As with all other methods in this article, you can return to the original settings by following the same steps. In this particular case, instead of nothing, you have to select Google as your assistant app.
Uninstall Google Updates
The Google Assistant has been around for a while – since May 2016, to be precise. Previous versions of the Google app did not have this. Therefore, you can also free your phone or tablet from the pesky assistant by uninstalling Google app updates and restoring its factory settings.
You should keep in mind that this is the most extreme measure you can take in this situation. It's also worth mentioning that other Google services and features may also be affected. You might see a change in their behavior and some of them (if they were recent additions) might disappear with the Google Assistant.
If you are absolutely sure that you don't want the Assistant anywhere on your phone, you can follow the steps below. This method works for both phones and tablets.
- Again, run the Settings app from your device's home screen.
- Then go to Applications ou applications.
- Tap on the Application manager. Alternatively, if there is no such option, you must press applications.
- Your phone or tablet will then show you the list of all apps installed on the device.
- Now find Google and press it.
- When the Google app information page opens, you need to tap on the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Then press the Uninstall updates option.
- Google will then notify you that you are about to replace the app with the factory version and all data will be deleted, tap Okay to confirm your choice.
The Google Assistant will be removed from your phone or tablet and won't bother you anymore. However, the next time you update the Google app or your device updates automatically, the assistant will reappear.
Chromebook and Pixelbook
If you're having trouble with the Google Assistant on your Chromebook or Pixelbook that's running Chrome OS, here's how to fix it:
- Click on the Time section of the status bar and open Settings.
- Go to the Search and Wizard section.
- Take Google Assistant.
- Drag the toggle to Off.
If you have a Sony TV running the Android operating system, you can turn off the Google Assistant in seconds. Here's how it's done:
- press the Google Assistant button on the remote control and hold it down.
- Now go to Settings menu and disable the Google Assistant.
If you do this, you will no longer be able to control your TV with your voice.
If you don't need the Google Assistant, this is a good option to turn it off. This way, you will be able to enjoy your Android or Chrome OS device without interruption.
Do you find the Google Assistant useful or not? Do you want to keep it or disable it? Share your opinion in the comments section below.