Although there are a wide variety of alternatives, Google Meet is one of the most popular video conferencing apps. It's attached to G Suite and it's no ordinary video calling app. Expect high definition video and up to 30 users per meeting.
However, sometimes you want to turn off the camera during the meeting, for some reason. You need this option to be readily available and available to you at all times, which we are happy to report is available. Here's how to turn off the video camera for Google Meet.
Disable video functionality on Google Meet
As soon as you run the Google Meet app, your camera will turn on and you'll probably see each other. If you want to make sure your camera isn't recording, tap or click the camera icon at the bottom of the screen. Yes, it works for all versions of the app/web app.
It's that simple. Additionally, you can also mute your microphone by clicking/tapping on the microphone icon right next to the camera icon.
Change of camera
If you're on a Google Meet call on your computer, you'll pretty much have an active camera. However, making the most of your phone/tablet's dual cameras can be very useful. Although the selfie camera is enabled by default in Google Meet, you may want to show your room to other call participants. Maybe you want them to see the whiteboard, or maybe you want to show them something. Either way, the rear camera of any phone has much better specs than the front one.
- To toggle the camera on your phone/tablet in Google Meet, join a video call, then tap/click the three-dot icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Then select Change camera.
Although Google Meet allows call participants to join high-definition video conferencing meetings, the camera options can be too much of a hassle. The app is designed to deliver the best quality with minimal tweaks.
Google Meet has a feature that brightens your camera exposure, which is handy for darker rooms — that way people can see you more clearly in dark areas.
However, in well-lit conditions, this feature may not provide the best video experience. Of course, it won't hurt and it's not too terrible, but disabling this brightening feature would be the best solution.
Fortunately, it is possible. At least on iOS devices, that is.
- To disable this setting, open the Google Meet app. You will need to participate in a video call before you can disable the setting. Once you join a video call, navigate to the three-dot icon.
- Then select Do not adjust for very low light. This will disable the feature, allowing a pristine and natural experience. In low light conditions, you can reactivate the function by following the exact same instructions.
Dynamic switching between audio devices
If you're a busy person and often take your meetings on the go, Google Meet lets you switch audio devices. For example, start your meeting in the office with your headphones, switch to your car and switch to Bluetooth speakers, etc.
- To do this, navigate to the top of the screen, select the current audio source, and then select the device you want to switch to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why isn't Google Meet detecting my camera?
There are several reasons why your camera may not be detected by Google Meet, let's cover some solutions.
Check your operating system's privacy settings:
1. If you are using Windows 10, open the Start menu and select Parameters.
2. Then click on Intimité.
3. Scroll down and select Camera in the left menu.
4. Now click on the Allow apps to access your camera rocker button to turn it Au.
5. You will need to refresh the browser or app for the changes to take effect.
Assuming you disabled it, the steps above should have fixed the issue.
Adjust the Google Meet camera
You can disable the camera on Google Meet at any time. You can also switch to another on your device, adjust auto-brightness settings, or change the speaker(s).
What do you like most about Google Meet? How did you configure your camera? Let us know in the comments below and feel free to add any thoughts or questions you may have.