When it comes to design, fonts can really be a game changer. Canva recognizes this and offers a variety of default fonts. However, the fonts available on Canva are not extensive. So what if you want a font that isn't available? Luckily, you never have to worry about designing again, because Canva now allows users to submit their own fonts! This article will guide you through uploading a font to Canva from different devices.
How to Download Fonts to Canva from PC
Before you can download a font, a few things are worth mentioning. Canva Pro, Canva Education, Canva Enterprise, and Canva for Non-Profit accounts can download fonts. Users of the free version of Canva are limited to the fonts available on the app.
Currently, it costs $12,99 per month or $9,99 per year to upgrade from the free version of Canva to the Pro version. A 30-day free trial of the Canva Pro account is also available for anyone who is unsure about their purchase.
Adding fonts to Canva requires that you have the appropriate permission to do so. In other words, you have the option of using fonts available for free or under commercial license. Additionally, the maximum number of fonts that can be added to a Canva account is 100.
If you have an account that supports downloading a font, you must first get the font you want on your PC. You can do this by downloading fonts. Here's how:
Google Fonts is a great option for getting fonts for your Canva designs.
- Go to the Google Fonts website.
- To narrow your search, use the categories and options that appear when you open the site.
- A small black box will appear at the bottom of your screen and say "1 family selected" once you choose a font.
- Click on the download button.
Your font will be downloaded in Zip format. You will only have to unzip it before uploading the font to Canva.
Creative Market is also a great source for getting the fonts you want. It's also quite simple to download the fonts you want.
- Go to the Creative Market website.
- Log in or create an account.
- Select a font.
- Click on the download button.
Now that you have the necessary Canva account and the font you want, it's time to upload it to Canva. Follow these steps:
- Open Canva.
- Choose "Brand Kit" from the sidebar of the homepage. For Canva for Enterprise users, click on your business name in the sidebar, then choose the "Branded Kits" option first. Select the brand kit to customize if you have multiple kits.
- Click "Upload a font" under "Branded fonts". Canva accepts OTF, TTF, and WOFF file formats.
- Select the font to download and press the "Open" button. Remember to only download fonts that you are authorized to use.
- You will be asked if you have the necessary licenses or permissions to use the font. To confirm that you have done so, click "Yes, download it!" »
- Wait for the download to complete. A pop-up notification will indicate if it was successful or not.
Downloaded fonts will be at the top of the font list when you add text to your design.
How to Upload Fonts to Canva from a Mobile Device
Even though the mobile app for Canva has many options, it's still not possible to download fonts through the app. However, you can still upload to the app by accessing Canva through your web browser on your phone. For now, this is the only option. The steps are similar to uploading a font to Canva from a PC:
- Launch Canva in your web browser.
- Select "Brand Kit" from the sidebar of the home page. For Canva for Enterprise customers, click your business name in the sidebar, then select "Branded Kits". If you have multiple brand kits, choose the one you want to customize.
- Under 'Branded Fonts', click 'Upload a Font'.
- Choose the font to download and click on the “Open” option.
- You will be prompted to confirm that you have the appropriate licenses or permissions to use the font. Click "Yes, download!" to indicate that you have.
- Wait for the download to complete. If successful, a pop-up message will appear.
When it comes to getting a font on your mobile device, there are several ways you can do it. You can download a font to your PC as described above, then transfer the file to your mobile device. This can be done using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or a USB cable.
Another option is to go to the Google Play Store and download an app with fonts. Just keep the font requirements in mind. You can also access Google Fonts or Creative Market from your web browser on your mobile device.
How to Upload Fonts to Canva from an iPad
The same constraints exist for iPad users as for mobile users. You will need to log into Canva from the web browser to download a font. The steps are similar to downloading a font from a mobile device.
- Open Canva in your browser.
- From the sidebar of the homepage, select "Brand Kit". Click your business name in the sidebar, then choose "Brand Kits" for Canva for Enterprise customers. Choose which of your brand kits to customize if you have more than one.
- Click "Upload a font" under "Branded fonts".
- Select the font to download and press the "Open" button.
- You will be asked to confirm that you have the necessary licenses or permissions to use the font. To show that you have done so, click "Yes, download!" »
- Wait for the download to complete. A pop-up notification will indicate if it was successful.
Why can't I upload my font to Canva?
There could be several reasons why your font is not downloading or is causing problems while using it. First, check if your font is in OTF, TTF or WOFF format. Other formats are not supported. Also, the font must be authorized for the integration. Contact the source of the font if you are unsure or need to obtain the correct license or file version.
If your file and permissions are checked out, the file may be unreadable or corrupted. Instead, find a fresh copy of the font and download it. It's also possible that the font is incompatible with Canva. A font may download correctly but produce problems when used in a design. Errors may appear as missing letters or the font looks different when downloading. Find an alternative font to download to solve this problem.
Use the fonts you want
Now, you no longer have to limit your text choices when using Canva. If you're using a free account and not sure about upgrading, take advantage of the 30-day trial. After 30 days, you can decide to continue and pay for a premium account. The fonts you added within the 30 days will still be there for you to use with the premium account.
What is your favorite font? Do you think Canva has enough fonts to choose from? Let us know in the comment section below!