BlueStacks is an increasingly popular emulator that lets you run Android apps on your Mac or Windows PC. With this free tool, you can download productivity tools, games, and more. from Play Store or App Store and run them on your computer.
The advantage of BlueStacks is that it lets you use your apps on a bigger screen and interact with a controller. Gamers especially enjoy this emulator because using a controller makes it easier to play Android games on a bigger platform.
If you've installed BlueStacks on your Mac or Windows PC, but aren't quite sure how to set up your controller, we've got you covered. The guide below offers step-by-step instructions on using a controller with BlueStacks.
Windows PC users have the ability to navigate BlueStacks with a keyboard and mouse. However, if you prefer to interact using a controller, you can. BlueStacks supports various controllers including Logitech, Redgear, PDP, PS4 and Xbox One controllers.
Setting up and using your controller with BlueStacks on Windows is quick and easy to do; Here's how:
- Open BlueStacks on your PC.
- Connect your controller to your PC via Bluetooth or by plugging it into a USB port. BlueStacks uses a plug-in-and-play feature, so it should detect your controller immediately when you plug it in.
- Next, you will need to enable “Native Gamepad Support”.
- On the “Home” screen of BlueStacks, navigate to the icon that displays three stacked lines. You will find the icon at the top right of the screen. Click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Settings".
- Then choose “Preferences”.
- Go to "Game Control Settings". Under this heading, you will see “Enable gamepad detection”. Check the box to enable this feature.
- Next, you will need to choose from the three options presented to you: "Force On", "Force Off" and "Auto".
- "Force Enable" will enable native gamepad controls.
- "Force stop" will disable native gamepad controls.
- "Auto" will enable native gamepad controls if the game provides built-in support.
- "Force Enable" will enable native gamepad controls.
You should now be able to play your games with your controller.
It's important to note that a PS4 controller generally works best when plugged into a USB port, and we recommend this connection over using Bluetooth, which is often problematic.
Another critical point to remember is that not all games are compatible with your controller of choice. Games compatible with your connected controller will have a small controller image below the game icon.
Connecting and using your gamepad with BlueStacks on a Mac is as easy as using it on a Windows PC. Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn on your controller and activate the pairing button.
- On your Mac, go to "Bluetooth Preferences", find the name of your controller and click on it to pair the two devices.
- Now that you have connected your controller to your Mac, launch BlueStacks.
- On the “Home” screen of BlueStacks, navigate to the sidebar menu on the right side of the screen. At the bottom right of this bar, you'll find the "Settings" icon, which looks like a gear. Click on this icon.
- In the “Settings” menu, select “Preferences”.
- In this menu, scroll down until you find the title "Game control settings". Here you will find a subtitle titled “Enable gamepad detection”. Enable this setting by checking the box.
- Next, you will need to choose from one of three options: “Auto”, “Force On” and “Force Off”.
- “Force On” and “Force Off” allow you to enable or disable your native gamepad controls.
- "Auto" will enable your native gamepad controls if the game offers built-in support.
Once you've completed these steps, you can close the menus and find the game you want to play, using your controller as you would with a console.
Using a controller on BlueStacks CoD Mobile is relatively simple. However, before we get started, it's important to note that Call of Duty Mobile only supports Xbox One and PS4 controllers.
Once you've connected your controller to your computer and enabled native controller support, you'll need to create or edit your controls to properly use the game's features. This allows you to run the game as you would on a console. The steps are as follows:
- Launch BlueStacks and open Call of Duty Mobile.
- Go to the sidebar on the right side of the screen and right-click on the "Game Controls" icon. (A keyboard is the symbol used for this icon.)
- A “Command Editor” side menu will open. Select the control you want to modify and drag and drop it onto the game screen from this menu.
- To access the “Advanced Controls”, right-click on the control you have just placed on your screen. A small window will open.
- In the window, you will have two options, “Keyboard” and “Gamepad”. Select "Gamepad".
- Then, in the window under "Fields", select a key. Next, press the button on your controller that you want to associate with that key to assign the action.
- When you've assigned actions to the various keys and you're happy with the controls you've created, click "Save Changes" at the bottom right of the screen.
- You can now close the menu and start playing.
Playing Mobile Legends on BlueStacks is like playing CoD Mobile. Mobile Legends is configured on BlueStacks primarily for a keyboard and mouse and offers both MOBA and WASD control schemes. While you can connect your controller and use it instead, you'll need to change your controls to play the game properly. Here's how:
- Connect your controller to your PC and enable "Native Gamepad Support" in BlueStacks.
- Open Mobile Legends.
- Head to the sidebar on the right and right-click on the icon that looks like a keyboard. This is the "Game Controls" icon.
- The "Command Editor" menu will open.
- In "Controls Editor", choose the control you want to edit and drag and drop it onto the game screen.
- Right-click this control on your game screen to access "Advanced Controls".
- A small window will open. In the window; select "Gamepad".
- Under "Fields," choose a key. Then press the button on your controller that you want to associate with this key. It will affect the action.
- When you have assigned actions to the different keys, click on "Save changes" at the bottom right of the screen.
You can now start playing Mobile Legends.
Setting up a controller with BlueStacks is relatively easy once you know the steps. Setting up or modifying your controls for a specific game is a little more difficult, but we're sure you'll master it in no time by following these simple instructions.
Have you ever played an Android game with a controller on BlueStacks? Did you use a method similar to those described in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.