Disclaimer: Certain pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This in no way affects our editorial staff.
When it comes to bringing all your favorite entertainment together in one place, there's nothing better than Kodi.
But as an open-source utility, Kodi may expose you to malware that may be hidden in some of your add-ons, especially those that are not yet approved by the Kodi team. Also, you may not be able to stream all your favorite content due to geo-restrictions.
Fortunately, a good VPN can help you overcome these challenges and more.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
This article will show you how to use a VPN with Kodi so you can stream securely and anonymously no matter where you live.
How to Use a VPN with Kodi
Kodi is an open source entertainment software suite designed to bring all your digital media together in one place.
It brings together all your entertainment sources in one unbeatable package, including local storage media, online Internet streaming giants like YouTube and Netflix, and live TV channels from around the world.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
On top of all that, Kodi offers a simple interface that helps you find everything you need in an instant. Whether you want to listen to music, watch a movie or listen to online radio, you will find all the tabs on the home page of the application.
Despite all its benefits, using Kodi without a VPN does not allow you to circumvent geo-restrictions imposed by streaming platforms such as Netflix and YouTube. This means that you may not be able to access your bookmarks, depending on where you live.
And although Kodi is a highly secure application, it remains vulnerable to malware that can corrupt your devices or even expose your personal data to hackers and other third parties. In particular, being open source software means that anyone can modify the application and create new add-ons that may contain malicious code.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
But with a VPN, the possibilities are endless.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a service that routes your data through an encrypted tunnel. This way, all traffic remains protected from prying eyes, even when connecting to unsecured networks such as public Wi-Fi.
You can also use a VPN to bluff your location and make it look like you're accessing the internet from another country, giving you access to content that may be blocked in your region.
A good VPN will also protect you from any malicious code that may be hidden in any of the add-ons you decide to use on Kodi.
Although there are many VPN services in the market, ExpressVPN has a cult following among Kodi users because it is safe, reliable, and affordable. Also, it comes with a neat and easy-to-use interface to help you set up your network even if you don't have networking experience.
Let's first see how ExpressVPN works with Kodi on a PC.
How to Use a VPN with Kodi on a PC
Setting up a VPN on a PC using ExpressVPN is simple:
- Visit the official ExpressVPN website and create an account.
- Purchase a subscription plan that suits your needs.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app for Windows.
- After installation, open ExpressVPN and enter your username and password to connect.
- Once the application's home screen is open, activate the service by clicking on the "On" button.
- The app will then run a traffic algorithm and choose a smart server location; this location helps you get the most out of the service by optimizing your speed, distance, and latency.
- If you're comfortable with any server location in the world, choosing the app should work just fine. But if you want to redirect your web traffic to a server in a specific location, skip to step 6.
- Click on the ellipsis (three little dots) on the homepage, right next to “Smart Location”.
- Click "Recommended" to select a server from a list of the most popular servers among users. If you want to view a more complete list of available servers, skip to step 8.
- Click “All Locations”. This should open a list of countries and show cities that host at least one ExpressVPN server. For example, if you want a server in the United States, you can choose a server in New York.
Once you choose a server location, ExpressVPN automatically takes over your web traffic and starts directing everything through that server. You can now open Kodi and start streaming radio, music, or movies without worrying about the security of your data.
How to Use a VPN with Kodi on a Mac
With Kodi, you can enjoy your favorite music or movies from the comfort of your Mac.
But to get the most out of the software while protecting your privacy and personal data, you need a VPN.
Here's how to use ExpressVPN with Kodi on a Mac:
- Visit the official ExpressVPN website and get an ExpressVPN subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app for Mac.
- Once the app is installed, launch it and enter your username and password to login.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your VPN.
- After setup is complete, click the power button to instantly connect to a Smart Server. If you want to connect to a server in a specific location, skip to step 6.
- Click on the three small dots next to "Current location" to select a server in the country of your choice.
- After selecting your preferred server location, you can now open and start using Kodi normally.
How to Use a VPN with Kodi on a Roku
Unfortunately, Roku does not support Kodi. But the good news is that with screen mirroring, you can cast Kodi supported device like PC or Android phone to Roku.
Let's see how to do this, assuming you're streaming from a PC:
- Purchase an ExpressVPN subscription plan from the official website.
- Buy a VPN router compatible with ExpressVPN. If you're not sure which router is best for your needs, this page is a good start.
- Configure the router. For detailed instructions on how to do this, Click here.
- Restore your Roku device to factory settings. To do this, open the app, go to "Settings", select "Advanced system settings and click on "Factory reset".
- At this point, you will need to set up your Roku device from scratch. To do this, turn on the device and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the “network selection” page, select “Wi-Fi,” then connect your Roku to your new VPN router.
- With your Roku device VPN-ready, connect your PC to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Enable screen mirroring on your Roku device.
- Now cast your PC screen to your Roku device. Do this,
- Open "Settings" on your PC and select "Devices".
- Click "Add Bluetooth or other devices", then select "Wireless display".
- Once your Roku device appears on the screen, click on it to start mirroring.
- With your PC screen mirrored on your Roku, open Kodi and start streaming whatever you want.
Stream Safely and Securely
Privacy has become an increasingly important concern in the modern world. With so many facets of our lives revolving around the internet, there are more opportunities than ever for people to steal your personal information and use it for selfish purposes.
This is especially true when using Kodi on a device that has access to all sorts of sensitive data, including your PC, Mac, or Roku media player.
For best results, you should use ExpressVPN with Kodi. It not only protects your data but also protects you from identity theft and other online scams. It protects your privacy by encrypting all your traffic with military-grade methods so no one can see what you're doing online.
Love streaming content with Kodi? How have you found a VPN useful?
Let us know in the comments section below.