Disclaimer: Certain pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This in no way affects our editorial staff.
If you're a gamer, you're probably familiar with geo-restrictions. Some games are restricted by country or region, and some countries have restrictive censorship laws that make Steam inaccessible. If you want to access restricted content on Steam and get better prices at home or abroad, VPN technology can help you change your network region so you can connect successfully and play anywhere. what title.
In this article, we'll show you how to use a VPN with Steam so you can bypass geo-restrictions and access any game on Steam no matter where you live.
Why use a VPN with Steam
Steam is a popular digital distribution platform that lets you buy and play games. It has over 120 million active users, with over 50 titles available on the service. One of its most popular features is to play multiplayer online games with friends or strangers located anywhere in the world. However, some of these games may be restricted by country or region.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
Geographic restrictions are frustrating. They can prevent you from playing your favorite game, seeing the latest releases, or even accessing an online service like Steam. For gamers who want to access restricted content, using VPN technology to change their network region is a viable option.
A virtual private network, or VPN, disguises your IP address and encrypts your data to protect you from surveillance. A VPN hides your online activity by providing an IP address in another country with a larger games library, affordable prices, or more lenient censorship laws.
The process of using VPN technology to change your region is called “geolocation modification” or “location spoofing”.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
Although there are several VPN services on the market today, most gamers prefer using ExpressVPN, and for good reason.
Benefits of using ExpressVPN for Steam
Whether you want to unlock new games or just want to protect your privacy, ExpressVPN is the perfect VPN for you. The service has tons of features that make it safe and easy to use.
Unlimited server switches
With ExpressVPN, players can access 160 servers in over 94 countries. You can switch servers as often as you want without having to worry about the safety and security of your data. For example, if you're in Chicago, you can connect to a server in East London and enjoy titles only available in the UK.
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
With a trusted VPN, you'll have a better chance of accessing a server located in a country where your favorite game isn't censored.
Excellent device compatibility
ExpressVPN can be configured for any device, including Mac, Android, iOS, Windows, and routers. It is designed with advanced features that give you the freedom to stream in HD or download whatever you want without any restrictions or retention logs.
Another feature that sets ExpressVPN apart from its competitors is its unlimited bandwidth. There is no monthly cap or limitation by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This means you can lock in super-fast browsing speeds from the start to the end of your subscription cycle.
The service comes with an amazing feature called split tunneling, which sends some of your traffic through their encrypted virtual private network (VPN) tunnel but routes the rest through a separate tunnel over the open network.
This means you don't have to worry about ExpressVPN slowing down your internet connection.
Ease of use
Setting up ExpressVPN is as simple as installing the app and connecting your device to a secure server; you don't need any technical skills to use it.
How to use a VPN with Steam
To use a VPN like ExpressVPN on Steam, you need to go through two main steps:
Configure your VPN
Setting up a VPN using ExpressVPN is relatively simple. If you already have ExpressVPN, you can skip to the next section.
- Visit the official website and create an account.
- Get a subscription plan that suits your needs. You can opt for a monthly, semi-annual or even annual plan.
- Install the ExpressVPN app on your device. There is a version for all devices including Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- Once the app is installed on your device, launch it and enter your credentials to login.
- On the app home screen, click the “On” icon to activate the service. At this point, the app will automatically select a smart location for you. It is the server location that optimizes your experience in terms of speed, latency, and distance. If you don't have a specific server location in mind, you can choose the app choice. But if you want to funnel your traffic through a server in a specific location, skip to step 6.
- Tap the ellipsis (three little dots) on the home page.
- Tap "Recommended" to select one of the servers that see the most traffic among ExpressVPN users. To see an expanded list of all the servers you can use, tap "All Locations".
- Tap any country in the list to see cities that host a VPN server. For example, if you opt for the United Kingdom, you can select a server in London.
After choosing your preferred server location, ExpressVPN automatically connects, setting you up nicely for anonymous browsing. You can now participate in multiplayer games by impersonating a player from the country chosen during the setup process.
Moreover, you can now browse Steam and other platforms on the internet without worrying too much about exposing your data to hackers and other malicious actors in the digital arena.
Buy games from the store of your choice
The cost of a game on Steam often varies depending on where you live. For example, a player in Asia will not pay the same price as another in the United States, even if the title in question is the same.
Regional pricing generally reflects issues such as cost of living and license fees imposed by local content authorities.
With a VPN enabled on your device, you can change the country of your Steam store and buy games from any other store in the world.
Here's how to do it:
- Launch Steam and access the menu.
- Click on “Account Details”.
- Select “Update store country”. At this point, Steam's algorithms will automatically detect your location (either your ExpressVPN smart location or any other location you choose). You cannot enter a location manually.
- Go to the "store", select the title you want to buy and add it to your basket.
- Click on “Buy for myself”.
- Select a payment method from the pop-up screen.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to set up your billing information.
- Select your new country to complete the purchase.
As simple as it sounds, there's a catch: to successfully shop at a given store, you need to add a payment method registered in that country. For example, if you buy a game from the UK Steam store using a Visa card, your card must be registered in the UK.
Unlock your favorite titles
Steam is a fantastic gaming platform with thousands of titles to choose from. Unfortunately, you can only enjoy approved games in your region, and the company's regional pricing means you won't always get the best deal.
The good thing is that a VPN can help you bypass these restrictions and buy any game from any store you want.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Steam. It's fast, reliable, has plenty of servers, and offers a money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free. You'll never have to worry about lag again with ExpressVPN by your side.
Are you a gamer? Have you tried unlocking content using ExpressVPN? We would like to know how you did it.
Let's engage in the comments section below.