There are many reasons why the Grand Theft Auto PC Version is superior to its console predecessors, and one of those reasons is the custom music. The Grand Theft Auto series has long included a wide variety of music in the form of genre-based radio stations, but previous entries in the series have also allowed players to create a custom "Self Radio" station based on their own collection of digital music files.
While the "Self Radio" custom station feature is absent from the console versions of the game, the PlayStation 4 offers the ability to add a Spotify account to listen to music in GTA 5. Here's how to add your music to GTA 5 on PC and add Spotify on PS4.
Add custom music in GTA V for PC
To use custom music in GTA 5, you will need audio files in MP3, AAC (m4a), WMA or WAV formats. Other audio extensions such as copy-protected FLAC, OGG, or AAC (like iTunes' m4p file extension) will not work in GTA 5. You will also need at least three separate audio files, as the game will not create your custom radio station with just one or two tracks. Here's how to add your music to Grand Theft Auto V on PC.
- Gather your music files, then navigate to the GTA 5 Custom Music folder in "C:Users[username]DocumentsRockstar GamesGTA VUser Music."
- Copy your compatible music files to the folder above, then launch GTA 5. When the game loads, pause the game and go to "Settings -> Audio".
- Select "Perform full music analysis" and the game will begin processing the information, the duration of which depends on the number of songs in your GTA 5 Custom Music folder.
- When GTA V has finished processing your music, move the highlight to the 'Car Radio Mode' option and choose one of the following settings: 'Radio', 'Random' or 'Sequential'.
"Radio" creates a truly personalized radio station by playing your songs in random order with DJs, commercials and news updates automatically interspersed in your playlist.
“Random” only plays your custom GTA 5 music tracks in random order without any interruptions from DJs, commercials or news.
"Sequential" only plays your GTA 5 custom music tracks without interruption, but in the sequential order listed in the Custom Music folder.
- Once you have made your selection, return to the game and enter a vehicle. Use the radio station selection wheel and you'll see a new station called 'Car Radio' at the top of the radio station circle. Choose the option to hear your personalized music tracks based on the car stereo mode option you have chosen.
- If you add more tracks to your custom GTA 5 music folder, go back to the "Settings -> Audio" location described above and select “Perform a quick music analysis” ou “Perform a comprehensive music analysis”. A full scan is better because a quick scan may miss some of your music.
- Optional: you can also activate the "Automatic music search" option, which will automatically perform a quick scan each time the game is launched.
Customizing GTA 5 Music for Console Users
Those who play the game on consoles shouldn't be left out, although they often are because PCs can do so much more. Let's take a look at ways to customize sounds for Xbox One and PS4.
Add Spotify to PlayStation 4 in GTA 5
Luckily, PlayStation 4 users can link their Spotify accounts to their PS4 console to listen to music while gaming. With options to access commands from the quick menu, this experience is nearly seamless.
While it doesn't officially create a custom playlist for GTA V, it does give you a bit more flexibility for sound preferences.
- The first thing you'll want to do is turn off the in-game music on GTA V. Visit the "Game settings", So choose “Audio. » Turn off sounds, including music.
- Go to "PlayStation Music app" on your console.
- Open Spotify on your phone.
- Connect with « Spotify Connect » or access using your "username and password" or even your “Spotify pin. »
- Choose to link your accounts.
- To listen to music while playing a game, open the quick menu by long pressing the “PS button”.
- Select «Spotify. » Make sure all permissions are allowed if you receive an error or don't see the Spotify option.
- Play songs or playlists of your choice.
You can also use Spotify Connect from your mobile device for easier control options. This only works if your devices are connected to the same wifi network, if you are using cellular data you will need to connect to your local wifi.
Add Spotify to Xbox One in GTA 5
Yes, we're back to Spotify and the console connection here too. The versatility of the music streaming service is so vast that it allows you to customize your favorite playlists and add them to your favorite video games.
- Disable music in GTA 5 audio settings.
- When the game music is silent, go to the "Microsoft Store" on your console and download «Spotify. »
- Sign in to Spotify on your XBOX One using one of the three methods you use for PlayStation 4: « Spotify Connect » ou "Spotify username and password" Or your “Spotify pin. »
- press the "Xbox Button" on your controller to bring up the Xbox Guide (essentially a quick menu).
- Select Spotify in the XBOX Guide.
- Choose your songs, skip to the next one, do whatever you need to enjoy the music.
As shown above, you can use « Spotify Connect » to control your music in games, as long as your phone and Xbox One are connected to the same wifi network.
How to Setup Spotify Connect for GTA V on XBOX One and PS4
- To connect to Spotify on your mobile app and make sure you are on the home screen.
- Tap " Settings " (it's a cog) in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down and press “Connect to a device”.
- Find the device and choose your console (XBOX One or PlayStation 4).
- Follow the steps to connect your game console to your phone's Spotify app.
If you think this all sounds complicated, it's really not once you've done it, but welcome to the fate of player customization.