Have you noticed suspicious activity on your TikTok account? Maybe videos have been deleted or posted without your permission, there are messages you didn't send, or your password has been changed. Such changes may indicate that your account has been hacked, which requires immediate action.
In this guide, we will tell you what to do if your TikTok account has been hacked. Additionally, we will provide you with instructions to protect your account against hacking in the future. Read on to find out how to keep your data private.
How to recover a hacked TikTok account
The steps you take to recover your hacked TikTok account depends on whether you still have access to it. If you noticed strange activity, but your password remained unchanged, follow the steps below to reset your password:
- Launch the TikTok app and tap "Me" to access your profile.
- Tap the three-line icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Select "Manage Account", then "Password".
- Enter your old password and set a new password.
Once the password has been reset, follow the instructions below to end all active sessions on other devices:
- Tap "Me" on the main TikTok page to access your profile.
- Tap the three-line icon in the upper right corner and select "Security & Login".
- Tap "Manage Devices".
- You will see a list of all devices currently connected to your TikTok account. Besides the device type, you can see their location and last login date. Tap the devices you want to remove, then confirm by tapping "Remove".
If your password has been changed and you don't have access to your TikTok account, you can reset it using your phone number or email address. This is only possible if you linked your phone number or email address to your account before it was hacked. Here's how:
- Launch the TikTok app and tap "Sign Up".
- Press "Connection".
- Select "Use Phone/Email/Username".
- Tap "Forgot Password?" ".
- Select the preferred password reset method – phone or email.
- If you chose email, check your inbox for an email with a password reset link. If you have chosen the method of resetting the phone, wait for a message with the reset code and enter it in the dedicated window of the TikTok application. Then enter your new password in the dedicated field.
Finally, if you haven't linked your email or phone number or don't have access to it, contact TikTok Support for further assistance. Support agents can help you recover the account after confirming your identity. Keep in mind that each case is unique, and that's not always possible.
How to protect your TikTok account from hacking
Accounts that have been hacked once are at a higher risk of being hacked in the future. Thus, resetting your password is not enough. You need to take some steps to further protect your account from potential future hacks. If you've ended suspicious login sessions but haven't changed your password, follow the steps below to do so:
- In the TikTok app, tap "Me," then tap the three-line icon in the top-right corner.
- Select "Manage Account", then "Password".
- Enter your old password, then the new password and validate.
The next step is to associate your phone number with your account. A phone number is more secure than an email because emails are easier to hack, especially if you use the same password for all your accounts. Follow the steps below:
- On the main TikTok page, tap on “Me”.
- Tap the three-line icon located at the top right to access the menu.
- Select "Manage Account".
- Press "Phone number".
- Enter your phone number and wait for a message with a confirmation code.
- Enter the confirmation code in the dedicated field of the TikTok application.
In this section, we will answer other questions related to your TikTok account being hacked.
How to create a strong password?
Cybersecurity is crucial in the modern world. So you need to know which password is a good password. Here are some things to consider when creating a new password for your TikTok account:
1. The more characters, the better. Ideally, if your password has at least 12 characters.
2. Include upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters. Mix them up (eg, "qW12erTy56*$") rather than using the classic "Qwerty12!" ".
3. Don't use obvious passwords, even if they're easy to remember. Forget your pet's name, date of birth, or favorite band.
4. Don't use the same password for all your accounts. If one of the accounts is hacked, the rest will be too.
5. Avoid memorable keyboard paths.
These rules apply not only to TikTok, but also to any other account. Also consider changing other passwords if they do not meet these criteria.
Should I hire a hacker to recover my account?
Users who cannot access their account because their phone is not connected sometimes think of hiring a hacker. First, it's illegal in many states. Second, you cannot be sure of the hacker's intent. After hacking your account, the person may not give you access but blackmail you to get even more money. Third, social platforms do not divide piracy into good and bad. If they detect that your account has been hacked, they can block it permanently. So, contact TikTok support and be patient.
Keep your account safe
I hope you have managed to regain full ownership of your account and have taken all preventive measures. Having your account hacked is never pleasant, but it can be a great lesson in cybersecurity. This may have helped you identify and eliminate weaknesses in your account security. Make sure you protect other accounts properly too, and you won't have to go through this once or more.
Have you ever recovered hacked accounts that weren't linked to a phone number? What steps did you take and did they work? Share your experiences in the comments section below.