You're in an Uber going to a restaurant to meet friends. Suddenly they send you a text to inform you of a change of plan: the original place is overbooked, so they have found a new one. But it's four miles.
Don't worry, there's always a way for you to get there on time. You can change your final destination in the Uber app at any time before the driver swipes End of Trip. And this article will show you how easy it is to do so.
Also, if you are a driver, we also have good news for you. You can change the trip destination as a driver, so you can save the day if unexpected situations happen and keep your grades high.
How to change the destination as a passenger in the Uber iPhone app
It is relatively easy for passengers to change the travel destination with the iPhone app, either before or during the trip. The only exception is multi-destination shared pool rides (UberPOOL trips.) In these cases, you'll just have to leave the ride early or not join at all.
If you are already in the car and suddenly realize that you need to be somewhere else, it is better to inform the driver directly. Sometimes, if the new destination significantly increases the travel time and distance, they may not be able to adapt to the change.
But if the driver accepts your request, you can safely change the final destination in the Uber app.
Here's how to do it:
- Launch the Uber app on your iPhone.
- Open the current trip by tapping the black icon that says "Uber".
- Tap the bar at the bottom to open it.
- There will be a box containing the driver details. Below you will see an additional box with different options, such as final destination, current trip price, shared trip status, etc.
- Tap the "Add or Edit" button next to your current final destination information.
- Search for the new destination in the search box.
- Touch the desired destination and confirm the choice.
Your final destination will now be changed. To change your pickup location, follow the same steps to update your new location on the map.
You may need to add a stop between your pick-up point and the final destination. Luckily, Uber allows you to make short stops (up to three minutes) during your ride. This is how it's done:
- Launch the current trip in the Uber app and tap the black icon that says "Uber."
- Open the bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the "Add or edit" button next to the final destination address.
- Tap "+" next to the original destination.
- Confirm that your stop will be less than three minutes.
- Tap “Add stop” and enter a new address.
- Tap "Update" to confirm. Note that this will increase the price of your trip.
How to change the destination as a passenger in the Uber Android app
Uber has made travel arrangements flexible enough for passengers to change their initial or final destination, with the latter possible even during the trip. However, before tweaking the ride in the app, it's best to speak directly to the driver. You can let them know about your travel change and see if they can accommodate.
Once the driver agrees to make the adjustment, you can edit the information in the app. Here's how:
- Start the Uber app on your Android Phone.
- Tap the black icon that says "Uber" to open the current trip.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen bar to open it. There will be a box with driver details. Below you will see an additional box with many options, one of which is the current destination.
- Tap the "Add or Edit" button next to your current final destination.
- Search for the new destination in the search box, but try to avoid accidentally dropping a pin on the map.
- Tap the new destination address in the list and confirm your action.
You will see that the final destination of the trip has changed. You can also change the pick-up destination by following the same steps.
If you still need to get to your original destination but suddenly have to make a short stop along the way, it is possible to add an extra stop between the pickup point and the end point. Just make sure the stop takes less than three minutes, as that's the longest time an Uber driver can spend at an additional location.
Follow the steps below to add an extra stop to your trip:
- Open the current trip in your Uber app and tap the black icon that says "Uber".
- Tap the bar at the bottom of the screen to open it.
- Press the "Add or edit" button next to the current destination address.
- Tap the "+" button next to the original destination. The application will ask you to accept that the shutdown is less than three minutes.
- Tap on the “Add stop” line and enter a new address.
- Confirm by pressing the "Update" button. Note that this change will increase the price of your trip.
How to Change Destination as Driver in Uber iPhone App
Your passenger may suddenly decide to change the final destination of their trip, but they don't know how to change their app settings. To keep your marks high and handle the situation professionally, you can always change the destination yourself in the Driver app.
Just follow the steps below:
- Launch the Uber Driver app on your iPhone.
- Make sure your screen is set to the current trip map.
- Pull up the list of turn by turn directions and scroll down.
- There will be a small pencil next to the final destination. Press it.
- Enter information about the new destination.
It may happen that the biker wants to go to a restaurant, but does not know the address. You can just type in the name of the restaurant, find it on the map, and tap on the location. If they know the address, just type it in the box and you'll be good to go.
You can handle this situation in several other ways. If the rider doesn't know, you can tell them that they can change the settings on their end. You can also drop the rider off at their original destination and ask them to start a new Uber ride. Since you are the nearest driver, they will probably book you again.
However, it is better not to use these methods unless there is some problem in the application that does not allow you to change the destination on your side. It is in your interest to keep rider satisfaction high as this can directly affect your grades.
How to Change Destination as Driver in Uber Android App
Suppose your passenger suddenly decides they need to be somewhere else and asks you to change their final destination. Maybe they don't know how to do it on their phone or they just feel more confident if you do it. Either way, it helps keep your ratings high if you know how to tweak the app settings and keep the passenger happy. Fortunately, the process is relatively simple.
Just follow the steps below:
- Start the Uber Driver app on your iPhone.
- Make sure the screen displays the map of the current trip.
- Pull up the detailed list of driving directions, then scroll down.
- You will see a small pencil next to the final destination. Press it.
- Enter the new destination information. If the biker only knows the name of the place, you can type it, find it on the map and tap on its location. If they have the exact address, type it in and tap on the result.
There are other ways to handle the situation where a passenger wants to change their final destination. You can always mention that they can change the destination on their end, but you'll be happy to do it for them as well.
Another method is to drop the passenger off at their original destination and ask them to book a new ride. Since you are the nearest Uber, they may rebook you. However, these workarounds can often negatively impact your rating, so it's best to stick with changing the travel destination in the app if prompted. Only move on to other solutions if there is a problem in the app that is not allowing you to get the job done.
Change your Uber destination hassle-free
With its flexible settings, Uber allows drivers and passengers to change travel destinations. Whether you make the adjustment before or during the trip, it's safe to know that the driver can handle your sudden changes in plans. As a passenger, it's always best to first consult with your driver about the change and then make the change in the app. As a driver, it is in your interest to respond smoothly to your customer's request, and changing the settings on your end can certainly help.
Hopefully, the tips in this article will help you change your route and destination in Uber hassle-free. If you have any other questions, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below.